The warmer spring weather is upon us, and before the temps get too dreadfully hot (we’re not complaining because it’s better than snow, right?) now is a good time to prepare for summer. Here are a few helpful tips to make your home ready to take the heat:
1. Change heating/cooling system filters and change them regularly (monthly).
2. Move thermostat to its cool setting. If air conditioning is not functioning properly call for professional repair. Trust us, you’ll want it working before the summer heat settles in!
3. Check all air ducts for leaks and seal them if you find any. Consider caulking around doors or windows to keep the cool air inside.
4. If you have an old thermostat, this is a good time to upgrade to a programmable one. It can save you $$$!
5. Use ceiling fans or whole house fans to reduce the need to run the air conditioner.
6. Remove storm windows and install screens. This is a great time to get those windows cleaned too
7. Preparing for any spring or summer vacations? Now is a good time to head to the garage and make sure your vehicle is ready. Tires, filters, fluids… they all need checked.
8. Learn how much energy you are using in your home with this cool home energy audit tool! http://www.solarday.com/
9. What if a tornado, fire, or flood were to come your way? If you haven’t already, take a day to make a good home inventory of everything in your home with photos. You’ll be glad you did if the unexpected were to strike. You’re friends at Swartz Contracting are here to respond 24/7/365!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, watch us on YouTube, add us to your Google+ circles, see what’s “Pinteresting” on Pinterest, and join our group on LinkedIn! We’re here to answer your call 24 hours a day, 365 days a year! 800-462-1024