Ah, February… American Heart Month and Valentine’s Day. Be sure to keep the love for your home alive with these maintenance tips to keep it happy and looking great before spring arrives!
- Make sure no water is sneaking in. Check for leaks or areas where condensation may be entering. As you inspect the entire home, be sure to write down all areas in need of TLC. Places to check include ceilings, under roof, along windows, eaves, around doors, and all seals. Don’t forget to check the kitchen (sink), bathroom (toilet, sink, and shower), and basement/crawl space for any moisture.
- Spruce up the shower. When was the last time you changed the curtain or liner? That damp curtain/liner can be home to mold and mildew.
- Feel the breeze. Grab the caulk, grab the foam sealer and weatherstripping. We’re on a mission to block and cracks and leaks around the doors, windows, and vents!
- Make a wish list. Make it a goal to save as much energy as possible this year. Make a list of all repairs needed to obtain optimal energy efficiency. Examples include replacement windows, high-efficiency appliances, adding insulation, and more. Check out this cool tool that calculates the average energy usage for a home of your size! Energy Saver Tool
- Get audited. Not happy with your own home energy assessment? Hire a professional to walk through and provide recommendations for you to meet your home energy efficiency goals.
- Prepare for spring cleaning. That’s right. Out with the old and unused items you’ve been storing away. Check the garage, attic, shed, or other storage areas. You may find old hidden treasures or you may be able to rid your home of dangerous chemicals or spills.
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, watch us on YouTube, add us to your Google+ circles, see what’s “Pinteresting” on Pinterest, and join our group on LinkedIn!