Buying a new home and not sure what questions you should ask in regards to home owners insurance? Home owners insurance is a very valuable, which is why you want to make sure you are knowledgeable before you sign on that dotted line. To make sure you have had a wide range of information to choose from we contacted local insurance companies to gather some outside expertise. Grant Sullivan from Sullivan Insurance and Jason Stolly from Stolly Insurance Group shared their knowledge from past experience on what questions should be asked in regards to home owners insurance.
Grant Sullivan from Sullivan Insurance the following to say when asked about home owners insurance:
- Most clients need to ask “what is NOT covered?” They rarely do. Asking this question ensures that the client and agent are on the same page and reduces the chance of surprises at claim time.
- If working with an independent agent (hint: there is no reason not to), the client should ask why the agent recommended the company they did (there should be more behind it than price).
- Clients should ask what it will look like when they have a claim and what the steps will be.
- Clients always need to ask themselves “What are the most important things I want to protect with my insurance? What are the top 3 things I worry about losing?” That could be retirement savings (in a lawsuit), your home, your sports car, or an expensive engagement ring. The answer will be different for everyone but your agent needs this information if they are going to be able to do the job you are asking them to do.
Grant Sullivan, CIC
Sullivan Insurance INC.
We also spoke to Jason Stolly from Stolly Insurance Group and he had this to say, in regards of what questions should be asked in regards to home owners insurance:
- Are my belongings covered in a storage unit?
- Are my cars covered under home if they are destroyed in fire while parked in garage?
- What does replacement cost mean?
- How much claims has a bearing on rates. Like how long the claims will be considered, how many claims is too many, will making X claim make my rates go up, etc.
Jason Stolly CPCU
Stolly Insurance Group
Phone: 419-227-2570, ext 1030
Toll Free: 1-800-686-2147
When choosing your home owners insurance policy, make sure you are asking all the right questions to your provider, in order to get the most of your policy. You always want to make sure the policy you choose will cover you when disaster strikes.
For more information contact us with any questions.