Is Home Where Your Allergies are?

Author: D16 March 13, 2014

Do you wake up saying, “A-choo!” with a tissue in hand?  Allergies can really put a damper on your day.  Most common triggers are pollen and dust/dirt, but your symptoms could be linked to your humble abode.  Many indoor allergens can worsen allergy or asthma symptoms, so read here about common culprits and tips to allergy-proof your home:

  • Pets can trigger allergy symptom even after brief exposure.  Their hair and dander (skin cells) are a common culprit in households.  Keep the home clean, and clean and vacuum carpets and upholstery often.  If you know for a fact you are allergic to an animal, refrain from adopting a pet.
  • Dust is present in every home, regardless of how often or thoroughly it is cleaned.  House dust is a mixture that might contain fine particles of soil and plant material from indoors or outdoors, particles of human and animal skin and hair, fabric fibers, mold spores, dust mites, fragments of insects that have died and their waste, food particles, and other debris.  Cleaning the home will stir up dust, making it easier to enter your nasal passage, so wear a dust mask while dusting or vacuuming if you are prone to allergy symptoms.
  • Mold grows in warm, moist environments like the kitchen, bathroom, and even around house plants.  Mold spores are a serious allergen and if you suspect a mold problem, a professional (Swartz Contracting) should be called in to clean and fix the root of the problem.

Your home sweet home should be just that, not a place where you constantly sniff and sneeze.  Try some of these tips to hopefully improve how you feel:

  • If your home has mold, call Swartz Contracting to assess the damage and correct the problem so it is gone for good.  If mold is not taken care of in a timely manner, you are not just looking at allergy issues, you are looking at permanent damage to your home.
  • Clean your home often by dusting and vacuuming regularly, and have the carpets cleaned once or twice a year (maybe more often if you have children or pets).
  • If you suffer from allergy symptoms and are unable to pinpoint the culprit or find relief, visit a doctor or allergy specialist.  If you do know what causes your symptoms, keep it out of your home and limit your exposure to the allergen.
  • Dehumidify your home.  Humidity promotes the growth of mold and dust mites, which are both probable allergens.

Did you know your home’s value will decrease if mold is present in the home?  Or that mold, water, and fire damage and when or if it was repaired must be disclosed when you sell your home?  Swartz Contracting specializes in restoration related to mold, water, or fire, and we take on projects from start to finish so you don’t have to hire multiple companies.  If you suspect mold in your home, don’t wait!  Make the call to your local restoration professionals at Swartz Contracting.  419-331-1024 or 800-462-1024