Tis the season for lights strung everywhere, holiday cooking, candlelight, and lots of time spent indoors. This can bring along with it many great memories, but can also bring fire hazards. Is your home safe? Does your family have a plan in case of a fire?
Be prepared! Make sure smoke alarms are installed on every level of the home, especially near sleeping areas, and be sure to test them weekly and change batteries about every six months. Do your children know what they sound like and what they are for? Explaining their purpose is a good idea next time you test the alarms. Also be sure to have a fire escape plan and that everyone in the home knows the meeting place. Pick a day to do a practice run just to be sure.
There are ways to prevent most causes of fires during the holiday season. Take a moment to prevent to save a lifetime of regret. Here are a few tips:
- Have the chimney inspected and cleaned.
- Do not burn paper in a fireplace.
- Use space heaters with caution and at least three feet away from objects on a sturdy surface.
- Never leave a candle lit in a room unattended.
- Store lighters or matches out of children’s reach.
- If you are cooking, stay in the kitchen.
- Keep children away from oven/stove when hot or in use.
- Keep loose fabric away from cooking surface (e.g., towels, clothing, etc)
Did you know Swartz Contracting not only specializes in home or business fire restoration, but is also your one-stop shop? We handle any project from start to finish, have 24 hour emergency response, and we work with your insurance so you don’t have to! Call 800-462-1024 for more details or to request an estimate. You can also visit our website, like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, watch us on YouTube, follow and pin with us on Pinterest, and add us to your circles on Google+!